Friday 26 November 2010

Copernicus

It's a short hop from Eratosthenes to Copernicus and this gave me a chance to get a contrasting picture to the full-moon shot I took a few months ago.

Here are the pictures side by side:




As I mentioned in my July post, the bottom picture is misaligned - the crater in the bottom right is the one at the top edge of the other picture. Eratosthenes just drops off the bottom of the full-moon shot.

The misalignment doesn't matter much since the object of interest is Copernicus itself. The shadows really show up the 1km depth of the crater. Actually I think a little less shadow would have given a better result as more of the crater floor would have been visible. Copernicus is a young crater and has lots of features on the crater floor that would have shown up nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment