Monday 2 May 2011

Proclus

After writing about Tycho's prominent ejecta or ray system, I've finally pulled out a picture of Proclus that I took in March last year. Proclus is a crater that lies towards the east of the Moon near to Mare Crisium, and I took this picture on a near full Moon.


As you can see Proclus has a high albedo which is second only to my favourite Aristarchus in brightness. The ray system is also very bright and extends for over 600km in some directions. You will notice that there are few rays extending from the left of the crater suggesting that it was formed by an oblique impact at a low angle from the west. Another unusual feature that is just about evident in this picture is that the rim of Proclus is distinctly pentagonal in shape.

Revisiting Proclus is high on my to-do list, especially now my image processing has improved. I just need a clear night and the right phase of the Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment