Friday 3 January 2014

Southern Lunar Crater Field

After far too long without an update, I've finally got some new pictures to upload. Unfortunately they aren't that good! The last eighteen months have consisted of a year of not being able to fit in much observing and then six months of pretty dismal weather. Even on the clear nights the observing conditions have been mostly bad.

This picture of part of the dense southern crater field illustrates my point:
 

At the top-left is the familiar sight of Clavius, and the cluster of craters in the centre of the picture are Gruemberger, Moretus, Curtius and Cysatus. The dark crater looming from the lower edge is Newton, somewhat tucked away for such a big name.

The air turbulence made it impossible to achieve good focus and a fuzzy image was the best I could produce. Furthermore, having to stay at low magnification resulted in my over-exposing the right-hand-side of the image.

P.S. If the picture looks really bad it could be Blogger playing up. First I found out it doesn't work with IE11, then some of my previously uploaded images went missing, and then all my new images appeared distorted. It seems to be ok at the moment but I wrote this post 2 months ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment